Monday, August 13, 2007

Ssshhhh… Think twice before you disturb...

… some one might be trying to get some work done.

All of us, while working, can get into a state where the concentration is absolute and intense on the task at hand. This is often referred to as being "in a state of trance", "in the zone" etc. From one of my former colleagues, Ray, I came to understand that this is a state of immense focus and a state where the mind is receiving immense happiness. Work tends to flow and get done quickly during this time. I have also learned from him that while one is in a state of trance, the mind does not like to be disturbed. I now realize that this was the reason for all the shouting and yelling, when my mom rang the buzzer to invite me for dinner while I was neck deep in "Halflife", trying to get that monster out.

Well, well, I learned an extra piece to this puzzle just yesterday, from Hari. It takes about 40 minutes for the mind to get back into another state of trance. I have not validated this, but it sounds totally true. I am also sure that the interest the person has on the task at hand can increase or decrease this time. But, yet, on an average the 40 minutes seems about right.

So, guys, the next time you open up that messenger or pick up the phone to "ping" a buddy - just because you are idle - be warned that you might be taking away the "talk time" + 40 minutes of your friends time.

This adds to why emails are sometimes better :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home